Although we know that approximately 3 billion Google searches are performed per day, we really don't know some unknown facts about the technology giant. Mijo! Brands shares the following 13 Things You Did not Know About Google:
1. Google was originally called BackRub.
2. When a Google employee dies, his wife gets half his salary for 10 years and his children $1,000 at month until age 19 (or 23 if they are full-time student).
3. Google plans to scan all known existing books (over 129 million), by the year 2020.
4. In 2010, Microsoft paid you to use Bing instead of Google.
5. Google generates 20 billion dollars a year on advertising, more than primetime CBS, NBC, ABC and Fox.
6. The creator of Firefox now works for Google Chrome.
7. Google beats Facebook as the most visited website.
8. In 2014, Google was named for the fourth consecutive year as the best company to work for in America by Fortune magazine.
9. On August 16, 2013, Google was down for 5 minutes and overall internet traffic was reduced by 40%.
10. Google has acquired two companies each month since 2010.
11. Google is offering $20 million to any private team to land independently on the moon for 2017.
12. In 2013, Google founded Calico, an anti-aging company created to finally “cure” death.
13. When Google launched Gmail messaging service, it offered 1GB of storage space, while Hotmail only offered 2MB.