Creating an app for companies is a task with different challenges, not only for developer companies but also for companies that decide to create an app for their brand.
Some data on the use of apps
Although the percentages of smart device users are high (91.8% of cellphone users in Mexico) and there are millions of daily downloads, app development is a growing sector with a high level of competition led by only a few companies and only some applications manage to stay on the users’ cellphone.
In 2021, there were 230 billion downloads of new applications globally, 5% more than in 2020. The analysis included data from platforms such as iOS, Google Play, and third parties.
One of the applications that has grown the most in Mexico is the Banco Azteca app, which registered a growth of 240% between 2020 and 2021 compared to 2019.
AppsFlyer and App Annie studies indicate that, in Latin America, Mexico leads the top 10 countries in app downloads; between 2020 and 2021 there was a 30% increase in downloads. Finance and shopping apps are among the most popular downloads.
With this view of the landscape, we will touch on some of the pros and cons of mobile apps:
5 advantages of creating an app for companies
- Privileged access: Smartphones have become a fundamental access point for the internet, in addition, they provide apps a convenient space and immediate access for users.
- Personalized experiences: Mobile apps must be accessible, manageable, useful, and friendly for the user to interact with brands.
- Visibility: An app expands the reach and helps build brand memory in the minds of consumers.
- Loyalty: Apps are a sales channel that provides the opportunity to create exclusive promotions for users in real-time based on the profile and behavior of the client.
- Strengthening connections: Apps increase the connectivity with customers since the company is always present and “open”.
5 challenges when creating an app for companies
- Uninstalls: The rate of uninstalls in 2021 increased by 50% in the first quarter, compared to 39% in 2020. The categories that registered the most uninstalls are games (60%), lifestyle (53%), newspapers, and magazines (44%).
- Android vs iOs: Android users uninstall 1 in 3 apps; iOs users, 1 in 6.
- Inadequate app installation strategies: Some companies encourage users to install their apps for some kind of benefit; once installed and received, users uninstall the app.
- User experience: If its use is complicated, it asks for a lot of data, it takes up too much storage, or it is simply not used, users will uninstall it.
- Investment: The cost depends on the complexity. You have to consider the budget to develop an app, the ROI, and the possible benefits.
Creating an app allows you to create a unique synergy with users, however, it is essential that companies analyze the variables that cause users to uninstall, the budget, the cost-benefit, and, above all, create a sales and marketing strategy first.
At Mijo! Brands, a creative digital marketing agency with offices in Mexico City, Guadalajara, and Puerto Vallarta, we have a multidisciplinary team of strategic professionals who provide consulting to companies and help them decide what is best for them. If you decide to create an app, our professional app design and development specialists have experience in tourism, real estate, professional services, consumer goods, and more.