Choosing a name for your business is one of the biggest branding decisions a business owner will ever make. At Mijo! Brands, we have assisted many clients with finding the perfect name to reflect their business and brand identity, and through that experience, we are able to offer our Top Tips for Naming Your Business:
- Avoid the “group” dynamic – It seems like a great idea to collect feedback from employees, family, friends and clients, but this generally just leads creating an overwhelming number of suggestions and rarely to a consensus. Better to stay with a few key decision makers and a team of branding professionals who can make objective decisions about your company.
- Avoid being overly clever – Oftentimes business owners feel pressure to make their name interesting and memorable but a difficult to pronounce or spell name can alienate potential customers.
- But don’t be dull – Stay away from overused metaphors or names that are simply a description of your service. For example, General Internet Search Engine would be a very literal name for Google, but it certainly wouldn’t be as memorable.
- Don’t get too personal: Choose a name that appeals not only to you but also to the kind of customers you are trying to attract.
- Keep it positive – Choose a comforting or familiar name that conjures up pleasant memories so customers respond to your business on an emotional level.
What are some of your favorite and least favorite business names that you’ve come across? Let us know in the comments section below.