Like many industries, social media has changed the business landscape in the tourism industry. Four Pillars Hotels recently released an interesting collection of facts about how social media shapes the way we travel.
• 38% of American travelers and 64% of global travelers use social networks while traveling.
• 85% of vacationers use their smartphones while on holiday.
• Mobile apps are key, with 30% of travelers using them to find hotel deals and 29% finding a flight via a mobile app.
• 92% of travelers say that they trust family/friend and online reviews but only 47% say they have the same trust in paid advertising. In fact, 70% of those polled say that online reviews are their most trusted source of information after word-of-mouth from family and friends.
• Think bad reviews aren’t a big deal? Think again. 48% of respondents reported changing vacation plans after reading poor reviews on social media, changing hotels, resorts, airlines and even entire destinations.
• Every traveler is a potential advocate or detractor from your tourism business. 46% post hotel reviews, 40% post restaurant reviews and 76% of vacationers post holiday photos to their social media.
Mijo! Brands has vast experience helping tourism-based businesses successfully navigate the digital world, having worked with destination tourism boards, luxury and boutique hotels and resorts, tour companies and restaurants across North America. Contact us for more information about strengthening your online presence to grow your tourism business.